Monday, March 21, 2011

It's not "Au Revoir", it's "jusqu'à ce que nous nous reverrons"

So it is not "Good-bye Paris", it is "Until we meet again" and meet again, I am sure we will.  I have been in love with this city since I was in High School, probably earlier than that, but it was in High School during three years of High School French class that I really learned about the City of Lights.  The passion seed was planted and has grown over the years.  It taken has 30 years for this city and I to meet one another and boy what a meeting it has been.  It's been short and sweet and I can't wait to come back again.

I found myself to be very emotional during this trip and I think a huge part of that is the fact that I have yearned to visit this city for so long, the fact that I won this trip by speaking from the heart about me and where my life has taken me, by the fact that I was able to share and experience this Beautiful city with the love of my life - just makes me absolutely speechless.  I remember just 4 days ago upon our arrival, walking through the courtyard of Les Jardins du Marais and having tears in my eyes because the thought, "I am in PARIS" was starting to sink in.  There have been multiple times this week that I have had tears in my eyes just for the disbelief that I am here- finally! 

The Louvre was our first stop on this trip and I now need to re-read the  book and watch the movie "Davinci Code" again- I loved that movie and book and it was because of all the Parisian references.  I have to watch "As good as it Gets" with Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson again because I love that movie with their scene in Paris.  I also love that movie because they both kick one leg out of the covers shortly after getting into bed for the night and guess what?  So do my husband and I.  

After the Louvre and a walk through the Tuileries, I couldn't walk the Champs Elysee's fast enough to get to the Arc du Triomphe.  My feet were killing me by now, but I just had to get there.  I was singing the chorus to the song "Aux Champs Elysee's" the entire time I was walking there (in my head)- I'm still amazed that I know those lyrics 30 years later!   Walking up 284 stairs to get to the top of the Arc- amazing- to see those views from up there, just spectacular.  I had chills.  A quick metro ride to the Eiffel Tower was next and I just stood still when I turned the corner from the metro and saw her for the first time.  This was another teary moment and I stood there in awe.  The excitement of the moment still makes my eyes swell up with tears now as I type this.  It's a moment in time that I will always have with me, one that I will never forget.  It's just too amazing.
And as if the day wasn't already wonderful, we then took a ride along the River Seine that cruised down past Cathedral de Notre Dame and pointed out highlights along the way. 

Day two, seeing the Palace of Versailles and the expansive grounds with the gardens, Grand Trianon and Petit Trianon- how does something so spectacular exist?  Just perfectly beautiful.   We spent a long time at the Palace grounds and I did enjoy our time spent.  I will say that I can only take so much history and antique furniture, but I could view the architecture and grounds over and over again!   Notre Dame in person (not via boat) was next and viewing the indoors of the Cathedral was breathtaking.  It was also nice that we were there at the same time a mass was in progress.  We walked around the Latin Quarter and near by and around the Saint Michel fountain.  Spontaneously found ourselves sitting outside at a cafe having Crepes and wine and just watching Notre Dame, now lit up at night.  We decided to then do our own tour of Paris to see all of the lights.  Back to the Eiffel Tower and just when you think something cannot be anymore amazing or beautiful- put lights on it!  We bought tickets to ride to the top and what a spectacular experience that was...wonderful city views, it was a clear night- you could see forever!  We also got to see the towers "blink" twice while we were there, they have blinking lights that sparkle on the hour!  Magical!  

We then took a quick metro ride to Arc du Triomphe, took some night pictures and then headed on our way in the hopes of getting pictures of the Louvre at night, but it was getting late and the train station we would take closes for the Louvre exit when the museum closes- so we didn't get that one.

Our last day was spent visiting Sacre-Coeur, Sainte Chappelle and my favorite part of today- Montmartre.  I loved this artsy district with roaming artistes wanting to sketch your resemblance.   Such a cute area and watching the artistes at work was a lot of fun! 

I am delighted that my husband has also fallen in love with this city as today while we were walking through Montmartre wishing we could spend more time he says, "well next time, we know we want to spend more time here".   YAY, we get to come back here!!  This trip has also served as the gateway to many more trips to Europe- the seed has once again been planted and we want to see so much more of Europe! 

I truly do believe that "Life is like a book, and those who do not travel, only read one page"    Travel enhances anyone's life, it opens the doors to communication between nationalities, countries, people.  I know that for years France always had this bad reputation for being snobs and unfriendly to the American people.  I never ONCE encountered that during this trip.  Nearly perfect English almost everywhere we went and the few exceptions to that we were still able to communicate.  So many friendly French people, I was amazed.

The metro system is very simple and user friendly- takes some studying in order to see how to get from point A to point B when a connection is required, but it really is simple.  I asked our hotel front desk staff several times for directions and they gave us perfect instructions.  I was also amazed at how safe I felt- even traveling late at night, we never felt like the metro was creeping with bums, homeless or derelicts.  Because the metro is so user friendly, you really can stay anywhere in the city and have easy access to everything.  We were in the Marais and honestly- other than a few meals within two blocks of our hotel, we didn't do anything in the Marais.  We were all over the city and it was super easy!

Even though I had taken French in High School and do remember quite a bit, I was shy and timid to speak the language and because everyone spoke good English, I wasn't pressured to try to speak, but would do a little here and there.  Our last day, the artistes who were sketching us asked us if we spoke any French and they even knew I was being shy, but encouraged me to speak to them in French and they made is so simple and comfortable and complimented me on my French.

I just have to say that it was an experience of a lifetime and I am so fortunate to have won this trip.  I thank Stacy Small for posting on Facebook about this contest.  I thank Europe Express for having this contest and for picking my entry.   It is a trip that will always stay in the forefront of my mind for....ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment