Tuesday, March 15, 2011

New York City

It has been years- actually decades since I have been to The Big Apple!! My last visit, I believe was in 1984, when I was merely a teenager with my family.  I didn't have a say in the travel plans or what we were to do or what we were to see--but it was a trip to NYC, who was going to complain!

Here I am, the year 2011 finding myself with the opportunity to spend 2 nights in NYC and I wish it were a longer stretch of time.  We arrived today after a 7am flight.  Of course, as a business owner, I was up until 130am getting work done and then had to be up at 4am to get ready for our flight.  I decided when checking us in online 6 hours prior to flight time to upgrade to First Class- I was tired and knew the comfort of First Class would be welcomed - so I did it!  (It was also fun to surprise the husband this morning as I led us to the First Class check-in line, he says :"honey, you're in the wrong line, this is First Class", I reply, "yes, I know we are in First Class", he replies "huh?"- I just smiled!     We had a GREAT flight on Virgin America, as always- LOVE this airline!   Arrival in JFK was smooth, except we missed the sign that directed us to go down for baggage and got a bit more exercise "touring" the airport!  By the time we arrived at the carousel, the bags were just about to start coming out.

I had booked our transportation with 1800-Book-a-Limo, which I use for my clients all the time, this is my 3rd time using them myself and they are wonderful!  Upon landing, I already had a reminder call to make sure I remembered to call them once I  had my bags for directions on where to meet my driver.  They then called again while we were waiting for baggage to make sure we knew to call.  We met our driver and had a great ride into Manhattan- it was rush hour, so a little more entertaining!

We are staying at the Alex Hotel- what a charming hotel!  A member of the Leading Hotels of the World and very "apartment like" when you get to your room- but the staff is nothing short of very welcoming and helpful!  We were checked in very quickly and were surprised to see this wonderful room with a kitchen, living/dining room area and separate bedroom.  It's really quite the room!   We didn't have much time to enjoy this room as we had a 7pm reservation to tour Central Park on a Horse & Carriage Ride.  Again, impressed!!  The driver texted about an hour prior to our meet time to reconfirm and advise of where to meet.  We met our driver and other than it being 40 degrees and COLD- it was a very enjoyable ride through Central Park- our horse "Murphy" was a great horse!

Afterwards, we walked up and down Central Park South to find a place for dinner- we stumbled upon South Park- not a place that I would recommend- but it will sustain life for another day! LOL

Now back at the hotel, getting a few internet things done and even though it's only 9pm in CA- we are bushed an ready for a good night's sleep! 

Until we meet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment